Thursday, March 3, 2011

Doris' Granola


Okay, girls, here's the basic granola recipe. I like it. It's easy and good. I threw in some slivered almonds. I'd like to add raisins or craisins, but my kids would not go for it. Add whatever you like: sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc.

2 c. whole wheat flour
6 cups reg. rolled oats
1 c. coconut
1 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. water
1 c. oil
1 c. honey or corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1 T. salt.

Combine flour oats, coconut and wheat germ in a large bowl. In separate bowl, mix all other ingredients. Add liquids to dry and mix thoroughly. Spread on 2 greased cookies sheets and bake at 250 for 1 hour (I did 30 minutes more after stirring it around). Store airtight.

I used honey because I have a bunch. (Every time my boys scrape Sister Yack's sidewalks they get more :) The most expensive thing is the wheat germ. It's a little less expensive at Walmart. The blogger I got this from substituted wheat bran for wheat germ.?? If you don't have a way to grind wheat for the flour, bring it on over. I have a very noisy, but effective wheat grinder.

No comments: