Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Curried Tomato Bisque

I attended college at USU in Logan right out of high school. This soup was always available at "The Hub" in the student union on Campus. Shortly after Gary and I got married, Smith's transferred me to the S. Cal. region. Knowing how much I would miss this soup, I stopped at
"The Hub" and asked if I could have the recipe. They made it in 10 gallon batches! Over the years I have cut it down and tweaked it to become the recipe it is today. Hands down my favorite tomato soup ever!

1 1/2 TBSP Butter
1 C. Chopped Onion
1 Clove Minced Garlic
1/2 TBSP Curry pwd.
2 Quart Jars Ripe Tomatoes (Yes you can use fresh)
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1/3 C. uncooked Rice (long cooking)
1 1/2 C. Hot chicken broth
2 C. half & half (Yes you can use the fat free kind)
1 small can tomato sauce

*Melt butter; add onion and garlic; saute until tender; add curry; cook 3 min.\
*Add rest of ingredients except half & half.
*Simmer about 30 min. partially covered.
*Heat the half & half in a pan, just until it is scalding hot. Stir into the soup, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

No comments: